Support WA Tourism BusinessesApril 1, 2020
Fresh seafood & wine tasting in paradiseOctober 3, 2020
This delicious recipe crayfish & fennel savoury muffins is one of Jay’s own, it’s easy to follow and if you love seafood as much as us, it’s a great excuse to sneak it in before lunchtime.
If you’ve been on one of our Abrolhos trips before, you’ll know that fresh seafood is at the heart of just about every meal we serve – aside from breakfast. We at least wait until morning tea before we bring out the seafood! Follow this simple recipe
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and a half cups milk
- 100 grams of butter
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 100 grams of feta
- 2 crayfish cooked and tailed.
- 1 bunch of chives
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 bunch of fennel tops.
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs for topping (optional)
How to make Crayfish & Fennel Savoury Muffins:
- Combine flours, baking powder and chopped herbs (save a handful for garnish).
- Chop fennel to small squares. Crush 4 cloves of garlic then soften in frying pan with a small amount of butter or olive oil.
- To cook cray tails boil them for 5 minutes or steam the for 10 minutes. After they are cooked, peel cray tail and chop up cray meat into small pieces (about size of 20 cent coin).
- Melt the butter to liquid and add to milk and eggs, pour into flour mix and fold gently till mixed through.
- Crumble the feta in the flour mix then add crayfish and fennel – mix thoroughly to combine ingredients.
- Spoon into muffin tray evenly.
- Mix left over herbs in with grated cheese and panko bread crumbs (if using) then cover the tops of muffins generously.
- Bake in 180 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through, golden brown and crunchy on the top.
- Enjoy your crayfish & fennel savoury muffins!
Recipe makes 24 muffins.
If you’d rather have someone else do the cooking and want to learn other creative ways to cook up crayfish, join us on an Abrolhos Island trip. Check out our cruise calendar for more information.